“Will my kids be better off than me?” is a question at the forefront of every parent’s mind. It’s certainly something I think about for my two children.
Today’s parents are increasingly called upon to provide for their children well into adulthood. It’s never too soon to start preparing our kids for a strong financial footing, and we’ll do whatever it takes to ensure it. However, our concern for the next generation doesn’t begin and end at financial wellness.
Concern for our family’s future spans across a breadth of issues including lifestyle habits, quality of life, happiness and even the state of our environment. What kind of world are we leaving for our children, and will they live a higher quality of life as adults?
I certainly hope so, but not everyone is optimistic.
Results: Our 2015 Next Generation Reality Report
In producing our 2015 Next Generation Reality Report, with the help of research company YouGov, we explored the major concerns facing today’s families. The report shows that many parents are anxious for their children, especially around financial wellness and disposable income. However, they’re also hopeful and believe their children will be healthier adults with a higher quality of life and sense of diversity.
Key highlights from the report include:
- Only one in eight (13%) American adults believe their children will be better off financially
- More than half of American adults (52%) believe their children will have less disposable income in the future
- The Midwest is less optimistic about disposable income compared to the Northeast – with 59% of Midwesterners thinking their kids will have less disposable income compared to 40% of Northerners
- Two thirds (66%) of Americans believe their children will be at least as healthy or have healthier lifestyle habits
- Only one in five Americans (20%) believe their children will have a better quality of life
You can view our full findings in the report:
Planning now to protect your children’s future is not only smart, but also necessary to ensure we’re setting up the next generation of adults for success. We invite you to explore the 2015 Next Generation Reality Report findings and hope this will serve as a conversation starter for your family.
CEO and Co-Founder, Haven Life
Life insurance needs aren't one-size-fits-all.Calculate your needs
Haven Term is a Term Life Insurance Policy (ICC15DTC) issued by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111 and offered exclusively through Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC. Not all riders are available in all states. Our Agency license number in California is 0K71922 and in Arkansas, 100139527.