Before I started working at Haven Life in 2014, I was pretty clueless about managing my finances. Outside of knowing to save for retirement and spend less than I make, I found monetary decisions confusing and had few resources available to help me.
Fortunately, my career switch to the life insurance industry brought with it a network of money-savvy individuals and a realization of how empowered I could feel by improving my financial situation.
With the rise in popularity of personal finance blogs and sites, women have more educational resources available to them than ever before. And many of these sites know that women need personalized financial advice that speaks to their individual needs – not just blanket rules for becoming a millionaire in a male-dominated world.
Cue our first Facebook Live and an honest discussion with the women who aim to help others make better financial decisions.
Our Facebook Live Panel Discussion
Emma Johnson from Wealthy Single Mommy, Bola Sokunbi from Clever Girl Finance, Erin Lowry from Broke Millennial and Shannon McLay from The Financial Gym joined us at the Haven Life office to discuss women’s most pressing financial concerns.
My biggest learning from the candid 30-minute conversation: the financial services industry has a lot to learn when it comes to reaching and educating women about their money.
Some of the other key takeaways from the evening:
- Women need to get financially naked with their partners and bare the good, bad and ugly in order to have a successful relationship.
- Investing lingo and platforms are intimidating and unapproachable to many women.
- Unfortunately, many marriages fail. And if that’s the case, women need to be prepared to ask for what they need and deserve in order to stay financially afloat.
- Women are givers by nature and tend to give more financially than we receive. That could include saving less for retirement to put kids through school. Women need to prioritize their own finances more.
- Pinkified finance is not what women want to see.
Watch the full conversation here:
A special thank you to the wonderful women who joined this discussion and help educate others on a daily basis.
This discussion is intended as general education only and is not legal, tax or investment advice. Haven Life doesn’t recommend any products or services discussed. Opinions expressed by participants are their own, and do not necessarily represent the views of Haven Life.
Haven Term is a Term Life Insurance Policy (ICC15DTC) issued by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111 and offered exclusively through Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC. Not all riders are available in all states. Our Agency license number in California is 0K71922 and in Arkansas, 100139527.