How to get a free online life insurance quote
Shopping for life insurance? Start with a quote
The internet has changed the way we do just about everything. These days, shopping, communicating with friends, banking, and everything in between is done online.
Shopping for life insurance coverage online isn’t like shopping for a new phone, a hotel room, or anything else, really. There’s no one website that can give you a list of life insurance rates from all providers while laying out the benefits of each plan for an apples-to-apples comparison.
So, where do you start?
The best place to start is to seek and compare life insurance quotes, but how exactly do you do that? Continue reading to learn what a life insurance quote is, what goes into calculating yours, and what to do once you have one.
In this article:
What is a life insurance quote?
A life insurance quote is a preliminary estimate of the price you would pay for a life insurance policy. This estimate is based on the unverified information you provide when filling out an online form to get your quote, including your age, level of health, and the amount of coverage you’d like.
Keep in mind that a life insurance quote may be inaccurate because of:
- Human error: Errors happen from time to time, and if you make a mistake when answering questions for your quote, your quoted price may not be an accurate depiction of what you’ll actually pay.
- Not enough information: Life insurance quotes are based on limited information that you can quickly type into a form. This isn’t always enough information to give you an accurate quote.
At Haven Life, we offer something called a Real Rate. The rate you’re quoted from other insurers might not match the one you’re ultimately offered, but at Haven Life, we’ve got it down to a science, so what you’ll see on our quote tool should be closely, maybe even exactly, aligned with what you’re offered when you apply.
What goes into determining your life insurance quote?
Several factors can influence your life insurance quote. These include:
- Gender: Men have shorter life expectancies than women. As a result, men typically pay higher life insurance premiums than women.
- Age: As you age, you become a larger risk to your life insurance company. This means you can expect to pay lower prices if you lock in your rates at a younger age.
- Health status: The healthier you are, the less you can expect to pay in life insurance premiums. You’ll provide an estimate to get your quote, and most policies require a medical exam as part of your application.
- Tobacco use: Do you use tobacco? If so, you may pay a significantly higher premium for life insurance than someone who doesn’t smoke.
- Alcohol use: Excessive alcohol use can potentially raise your insurance quote as well.
- Coverage amount: As with anything else, though, the monetary value of your policy (also known as the death benefit) is among the biggest drivers of its cost.
- The type of life insurance: Because it covers you until you die (and can build cash value), permanent life insurance typically costs more than term life insurance, which typically only covers the years when you’re (relatively) younger and healthier.
- Term length: If you’re purchasing a term life policy, the length of the term will also be a factor in your premium. The same person buying the same coverage amount will pay a higher premium for a 30-year policy than for a 10-year policy. Why? Because the longer the term, the likelier it is you might die during coverage.
What is a life insurance premium?
A life insurance premium is the amount of money you pay monthly or annually for your life insurance. You’ll receive your final life insurance premium amount once you’ve completed any verification requested by the insurance company. This may include a medical exam.
Most policies include something called level term premiums, which simply means that your premium will remain the same throughout the life of your policy. In other words, the monthly rate you are quoted applies to the entire life of the policy, not just the first few months or years.
This is one reason why it’s a good idea to get a life insurance policy in place when you’re young and healthy — you’ll pay a lower premium than you would otherwise, for years to come. (The other reason is that having a policy in place is better than not having a policy in place, in case something happens to you in the near future.)
At Haven Life, you can get a free online life insurance quote in a matter of minutes, use our life insurance calculator to see how much coverage you need, and even fill out the online portion of your application over your lunch break. Buying life insurance should be simple, not hard — get started today.
About Joshua RodriguezRead more by Joshua Rodriguez
Our editorial policy
Haven Life is a customer-centric life insurance agency that’s backed and wholly owned by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). We believe navigating decisions about life insurance, your personal finances and overall wellness can be refreshingly simple.
Our editorial policy
Haven Life is a customer centric life insurance agency that’s backed and wholly owned by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). We believe navigating decisions about life insurance, your personal finances and overall wellness can be refreshingly simple.
Our content is created for educational purposes only. Haven Life does not endorse the companies, products, services or strategies discussed here, but we hope they can make your life a little less hard if they are a fit for your situation.
Haven Life is not authorized to give tax, legal or investment advice. This material is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for tax, legal, or investment advice. Individuals are encouraged to seed advice from their own tax or legal counsel.
Haven Term is a Term Life Insurance Policy (DTC and ICC17DTC in certain states, including NC) issued by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111-0001 and offered exclusively through Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC. In NY, Haven Term is DTC-NY 1017. In CA, Haven Term is DTC-CA 042017. Haven Term Simplified is a Simplified Issue Term Life Insurance Policy (ICC19PCM-SI 0819 in certain states, including NC) issued by the C.M. Life Insurance Company, Enfield, CT 06082. Policy and rider form numbers and features may vary by state and may not be available in all states. Our Agency license number in California is OK71922 and in Arkansas 100139527.
MassMutual is rated by A.M. Best Company as A++ (Superior; Top category of 15). The rating is as of Aril 1, 2020 and is subject to change. MassMutual has received different ratings from other rating agencies.
Haven Life Plus (Plus) is the marketing name for the Plus rider, which is included as part of the Haven Term policy and offers access to additional services and benefits at no cost or at a discount. The rider is not available in every state and is subject to change at any time. Neither Haven Life nor MassMutual are responsible for the provision of the benefits and services made accessible under the Plus Rider, which are provided by third party vendors (partners). For more information about Haven Life Plus, please visit: https://havenlife.com/plus
What our customers are saying
Sep 8, 2023
User friendly platform and very easy…
User friendly platform and very easy application process! Super content with Haven Life , consider them when shopping for a policy.
–Gabby Santosread more at
Aug 11, 2023
The ease of the process and speed in getting my application approved was terrific. Highly recommend using them for your insurance needs.
–Martinread more at
Aug 10, 2023
Simple and well-designed process for buying life insurance
Life insurance is an industry that seems stuck in the past - things like completing an application, filling out paperwork, scheduling medical exams, etc. are not handled online at many companies. At Haven Life all of this can be done and tracked online, and I hope that others in the industry will follow suit. Other positives include that pricing was competitive and easily available through an easy online quote. It was also possible to adjust the specifics of the policy throughout the process, even after underwriting was complete - changing my mind on one small detail did not require restarting the process. The underwriting process proceeded quickly. I was easily able to gain access to my lab results online. Etc. The process was easy at every step.
–Calvinread more at
Jul 27, 2023
5 STARS!⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ They made everything…
5 STARS!⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ They made everything simple, seamless and positive.
–Kayla Counselbaumread more at
Jul 12, 2023
Quick and Easy
Simple process, fast approval with out any exam.
–Colleen McKennaread more at