Life insurance is a smart move when you have people in your life who depend on you financially.Read more
5 simple fitness tips anyone can use
These healthy habits will help you get — and stay — fit
It’s not always easy, but getting and staying fit doesn’t need to be complicated. All it takes is sticking with consistent and sustainable healthy habits.
Again, it’s easier said than done. So consider adopting these simple fitness tips into your routine to achieve that healthier version of yourself, and you’ll be on your way.
In this article:
1. Plan your day the night before
In the stress of day-to-day life, it can be easy to succumb to cravings for a fast food meal or to skip the gym. Mentally preparing yourself to engage in exercise or healthy habits the night before can make it easier to stay consistent and build habits that stick over time. This includes taking essential steps before bed to set yourself up for success the next day.
- Choose your workout: Decide on the type of exercise you’ll do, whether it’s a strength-training gym session, a body weight workout at home, or a cardio activity outside. Lay out your workout clothing in advance like a kid might for the first day of school.
- Set a specific time: Choose a time for your workout and stick to it. This proactive scheduling prevents conflicts and ensures you prioritize your health each day.
- Pack your lunch: Packing a healthy lunch before work means you can grab it and go, avoiding the temptation of the drive-through line later.
It’s easy to let new healthy habits slip if you don’t solidify them into your routine. Start small and get some consistency, then think about branching out. Before you know it, tossing a healthy snack or some yoga pants into your work bag will be second nature.
2. Walk more
Walking more is an easy way to burn more calories throughout the day without stressing about fitting in a complete workout. Regular walking helps improve your cardiovascular health by increasing your heart rate and circulation. It also lowers the chance of developing a serious illness like heart disease and can reduce stress and high blood pressure. Being outside in fresh air feels good, and can provide long-term mental health benefits as well.
Starting small by incorporating 20 to 30 minutes of walking into your daily routine will provide cardiovascular and mental benefits. It’s easy to get going:
- Schedule your walks into your daily routine, just like you would with any other appointment or task.
- Ask coworkers or friends if they would like to take a walk during your lunch break for a quick pick-me-up. Alternatively, take the dog if you have one so you both benefit.
- If finding a 30-minute block of time is challenging, break your daily walking goal into shorter sessions. You can take three 10-minute walks throughout the day and reap the same benefits as taking a single 30-minute walk.
If you have the option to walk to work, consider making it a goal to walk to work at least one time a week to boost your steps — and arrive at the job feeling energized.
3. Consider a fitness app
If you’ve attempted to get healthy or improve your fitness in the past but found that your efforts didn’t produce results, maybe the answer lies in monitoring your progress.
Fitness apps have become valuable tools for improving your health and fitness. Some of the benefits of using a fitness app include:
- Easier food tracking: How many calories are in an avocado? Most fitness apps include calorie tracking sections that allow you to look up calorie counts.
- Movement tracking: Some fitness apps also track your movement throughout the day, letting you incorporate everyday chores into the quest for 10,000 daily steps.
- Daily reminders: Enable your fitness app’s daily notification option for a gentle push to get your daily workout or calorie log-in.
If you’re an eligible Haven Term policyholder, you can enjoy a no-cost subscription to the fitness app Aaptiv, which includes an array of workouts and exercises for everyone from beginners to those more experienced, via the Haven Life Plus bonus rider. (More on that below.) There are even meditations designed to help you sleep, and guided walks to help you hit that daily 30 minute goal.
4. Stay hydrated
Fitness isn’t just about exercise and eating right — drinking more water can improve almost every area of bodily functions, ranging from easing symptoms of digestive issues to improving mental thinking and clarity. Hydration is essential to your overall health, facilitating muscle recovery and giving you the energy you need to excel at your workout.
One of the easiest ways to improve your hydration is to keep a reusable water bottle with you throughout the day. Having it readily available makes it more likely that you’ll remember to drink and prevents you from needing to get up and refill each time you feel thirsty. Those bottles that clock your progress with time markers on the side provide an easy way to get reminders throughout the day.
Start your day with a glass of water. If you want to provide yourself with a little variety, try slicing some fruit into your water bottle for a naturally sweet, low-calorie infusion. Some healthy foods (including fruit) include water, too.
5. Prioritize your sleep
Quality sleep isn’t a luxury; it’s a necessity for your everyday health. A good night’s sleep plays a vital role in numerous aspects of your health, including immune function, memory consolidation, mood regulation and even weight management by controlling hunger hormones. Adequate sleep supports your body’s ability to repair and rejuvenate tissues, lowers the risk of chronic conditions like heart disease and diabetes, and enhances cognitive functions such as problem-solving and creativity.
To enhance sleep quality:
- Establish a consistent sleep schedule: Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine: Engage in reading, gentle stretching, or deep breathing exercises to signal to your body that it’s time to wind down.
- Make your sleep environment comfortable: Ensure your mattress and pillows are supportive to minimize tossing and turning and body pain.
- Keep your bedroom dark, cool, and quiet: Set the mood by blocking light from windows and turning on a fan. The constant background noise of the fan has the added bonus of masking “things that go bump in the night” that might keep us awake.
- Limit exposure to screens: Cut back at least an hour before bed if possible, as blue light can affect your brain’s ability to sleep.
These sleep-friendly habits promote better sleep quality, improving your body’s ability to repair muscles and metabolize food. Think about skipping that next video streaming binge session and catching some z’s instead.
And if you’re traveling for the holidays (or do so regularly for work), note that the Haven Life Plus bonus rider includes a no-cost subscription to Timeshifter, a jet lag-fighting app backed with NASA science.
Protecting your family with Haven Life
Unfortunately, no matter how healthy you might be, things can happen. And in case the worst should happen to you, protecting your loved ones with a term life insurance policy is a smart move. Haven Life offers affordable rates and a simple, mostly online application process. Learn more by getting a free online life insurance quote today.
About Sarah HorvathRead more by Sarah Horvath
Our editorial policy
Haven Life is a customer-centric life insurance agency that’s backed and wholly owned by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). We believe navigating decisions about life insurance, your personal finances and overall wellness can be refreshingly simple.
Our editorial policy
Haven Life is a customer centric life insurance agency that’s backed and wholly owned by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). We believe navigating decisions about life insurance, your personal finances and overall wellness can be refreshingly simple.
Our content is created for educational purposes only. Haven Life does not endorse the companies, products, services or strategies discussed here, but we hope they can make your life a little less hard if they are a fit for your situation.
Haven Life is not authorized to give tax, legal or investment advice. This material is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for tax, legal, or investment advice. Individuals are encouraged to seed advice from their own tax or legal counsel.
Haven Term is a Term Life Insurance Policy (DTC and ICC17DTC in certain states, including NC) issued by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111-0001 and offered exclusively through Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC. In NY, Haven Term is DTC-NY 1017. In CA, Haven Term is DTC-CA 042017. Haven Term Simplified is a Simplified Issue Term Life Insurance Policy (ICC19PCM-SI 0819 in certain states, including NC) issued by the C.M. Life Insurance Company, Enfield, CT 06082. Policy and rider form numbers and features may vary by state and may not be available in all states. Our Agency license number in California is OK71922 and in Arkansas 100139527.
MassMutual is rated by A.M. Best Company as A++ (Superior; Top category of 15). The rating is as of Aril 1, 2020 and is subject to change. MassMutual has received different ratings from other rating agencies.
Haven Life Plus (Plus) is the marketing name for the Plus rider, which is included as part of the Haven Term policy and offers access to additional services and benefits at no cost or at a discount. The rider is not available in every state and is subject to change at any time. Neither Haven Life nor MassMutual are responsible for the provision of the benefits and services made accessible under the Plus Rider, which are provided by third party vendors (partners). For more information about Haven Life Plus, please visit: https://havenlife.com/plus
What our customers are saying
Oct 2, 2023
Super impressed. Application was easy, fast, and user friendly. Pricing competitive and came back quickly. Customer service was quick and helpful.
–Lianaread more at
Sep 8, 2023
User friendly platform and very easy…
User friendly platform and very easy application process! Super content with Haven Life , consider them when shopping for a policy.
–Gabby Santosread more at
Aug 11, 2023
The ease of the process and speed in getting my application approved was terrific. Highly recommend using them for your insurance needs.
–Martinread more at
Aug 10, 2023
Simple and well-designed process for buying life insurance
Life insurance is an industry that seems stuck in the past - things like completing an application, filling out paperwork, scheduling medical exams, etc. are not handled online at many companies. At Haven Life all of this can be done and tracked online, and I hope that others in the industry will follow suit. Other positives include that pricing was competitive and easily available through an easy online quote. It was also possible to adjust the specifics of the policy throughout the process, even after underwriting was complete - changing my mind on one small detail did not require restarting the process. The underwriting process proceeded quickly. I was easily able to gain access to my lab results online. Etc. The process was easy at every step.
–Calvinread more at
Jul 27, 2023
5 STARS!⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ They made everything…
5 STARS!⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ They made everything simple, seamless and positive.
–Kayla Counselbaumread more at